Login or Register

Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
Overview of Nutrients
Dietary Fibre

Food fads may come and go, but the importance of a well balanced diet never goes out of style. One of the most important components of a healthy diet is fibre. Eating foods high in fibre is essential for good health and reduce risk of several diseases.

Dietary fibre is found only in plants and is defined as carbohydrate that is not digested or absorbed. Scientist classifies fibre as either soluble or insoluble. This refers to whether the fibre dissolves in hot water or not. More importantly, it helps to explain the different actions of the two types of fibre in the body.

Insoluble fibre helps bind water in the intestine and increases the volume of waste materials. The end result is more frequent and softer bowel motions and less risk of constipation if consumed with enough fluid.

Overview of Amino Acids

Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. When dietary protein is broken down by digestion the result is amino acids. This makes amino acids, next to water, the largest portion of our body weight since all proteins are derived from amino acids.

Dietary protein is first broken down and then reassembled to form different amino acids. The liver does this reassembling job using peptides to manufacture about 70% of all amino acids required. The remaining 30% - histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan and valine – must be available in the dietary protein. These amino acids are commonly referred to as the essential amino acids.

Besides building muscle cells, hair, nails and repairing tissue, amino acids form antibodies to combat invading bacteria and viruses, are part of the enzyme and hormonal system, build nucleoproteins (RNA & DNA), carry oxygen throughout the body and are part of all muscular activity.

Overview of Minerals

Functions of minerals

Minerals act as catalysts for many biological reactions within the body, including muscle response, the transmission of messages through the nervous system, the production of hormones, digestion, and the proper utilization of most other nutrients in food. All tissues and internal fluids of the body contain varying quantities of minerals. Minerals are also constituents of the bones, teeth, soft tissue, muscle, blood, and nerve cells. Without the aid / presence of minerals, vitamins cannot be assimilated.

Overview of Vitamins

Functions of Vitamins

Vitamins are essential for the normal functioning of our bodies. It empowers the body to process other nutrients successfully. Although vitamins by themselves do not give the body energy without vitamins most other nutrients can not be processed successfully. Vitamins help regulate metabolism, help convert fat and carbohydrates into energy, assist in forming bone and tissue for growth, body maintenance, vitality and general wellbeing.

Sources of Vitamins

All natural vitamins are organic food substances found in living things like plants and animals. With a few exceptions (like vitamin D, which can be made within the skin) the body cannot manufacture or synthesize vitamins it must be supplied in our diet or in dietary supplements.


Disclaimer - This site amd or product information are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. The information on this Web site is designed for information and educational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for informed medical advice or care. You should not use this information to diagnose or treat any health problems or illnesses without consulting your physician. Please consult a doctor with any questions or concerns you might have regarding your condition.

Copyright by www.highonlife.co.za (C) 2007